Monday, February 7, 2011

blog 5- implicit and explicit

Weinberger, relying on German philosopher Heidegger, says that "the meaning of a particular thing is enabled by the web of implicit meanings we call the world"


 Great example used: “Almost always when we hear a word, we don’t translate it into its definition—we don’t turn every “hello” into “n., a common greeting”—but instead hear its overtones, resonances, intentions, and connections.”  Implicit information is information that comes naturally to the culture it belongs. Different cultures infer meaning in different ways.  Slang, body movements, posture, attitude, sarcasm all have an effect on how a person is viewed and the meaning they want to portray. In the digital world, and dealing with computers, it has to do more with hits, tags, location and connection. It is harder for a computer to read what the user wants, needs and means. The advancement in technology has definitely improved in understanding the user, but it is not perfect yet. (I am a little scared if it gets to be perfect though… can anyone say robotic uprising? The machines are learning!! Haha)

Song I choose was Tiny Dancer by Elton John. The images I choose reflect the song. I choose specific parts form the song, as well as my memory I have with the song; that memory being the movie Almost Famous with the famous scene on the tour bus where everyone joins in singing this song after some rough moments together. I also play the piano and this song is heavy on the piano so i decided to add an image of a piano. I pasted the images on old Polaroid outlines to emphasize that these are memories or the past; a road trip of some sort. Obviously Elton is the center of attention here. I emphasized Elton's photo with color/vibrance. 

Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man
Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand
And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand


Jesus freaks out in the street
Handing tickets out for God
Turning back she just laughs
The boulevard is not that bad

Piano man he makes his stand
In the auditorium
Looking on she sings the songs
The words she knows the tune she hums

But oh how it feels so real 
Lying here with no one near
Only you and you can hear me
When I say softly slowly

Hold me closer tiny dancer
Count the headlights on the highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
you had a busy day today

Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man
Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand
And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand 








4 comments:

  1. Tiny Dancer is one of the greatest songs ever! I love that scene in Almost Famous (such a good movie) and I think your image definitely reflects the song. Since I'm familiar with some of the pictures in your image I can see the references to the song easily, someone else might not if they're not familiar with Almost Famous or the song, but who isn't? I like your statement regarding meaning and cultures, "Different cultures infer meaning in different ways," and totally agree with you. One culture may have a certain meaning for something and another may not understand that meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said "The advancement in technology has definitely improved in understanding the user, but it is not perfect yet." I had the same thought you did - if computers get smart enough to understand us, they will probably rise up and take us down (I, Robot anyone??). Especially if they can understand the differences between the cultures as we can. I mean, I can hardly keep up with the differences in our own culture across the country - I can't imagine what it would look like if they made a computer with the abilities to differentiate and categorize cultural tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice man, I like how you explained about different cultures having different meanings for everything. Sometimes people say things like "thats weird" when in reality for that person or their home country, whatever was called weird could be as normal as eggs and sausage for breakfast in America. The matrix man, AI, computers will one day take over. Hopefully we don't witness it though, I ain't trying to live in the middle of the earth for warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say, "In the digital world, and dealing with computers, it has to do more with hits, tags, location and connection. It is harder for a computer to read what the user wants, needs and means." I say, "yes." Now make sure to add into that what it means when millions of users add tags as opposed to hundreds. How does this link up to implicit/explicit? A few more supporting quotes/references to Weinberger would help, but overall a good post.

    Nice example as well, but the fact that y'all know this song from Almost Famous makes me realize I'm much older than you. Ok, I knew that, but it's funny how that happens. Elton was a staple of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete