Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Web 2.0 Five Years On


When I look at the advancements of the web from when the original Web 2.0 idea came around the main difference I see is that of the improvement of the actual hardware and technology. One of the main focuses in this article is that of mobile devices and the applications they run. Smartphone’s and PDA’s have been around for years, but within the last 3-5 years they have transformed how communication and social networking work. I bring hardware into this discussion for the fact that people have great ideas, but without the development of better equipment, it only stays an idea, a theory. The building of cell towers, Internet connections, and advancement in computers, Smartphone’s, and now tablets make it easier to interact with people around the world, as well as develop amazing ideas we would have never thought possible. These devices are also becoming cheaper and more people are able to afford them; thus connecting people to the online world and contributing to the ever growing human network.

A part of the article I found very interesting was that of Photosynth, Gigapixle Photography, and Infinite Images. This idea of combing thousands of photos and making 3D worlds is very interesting and amazing. Infinite Images gives, “the ability of the computer to synthesize imaginary worlds that never existed, extrapolating a complete 3D experience from a set of photos.” This idea will be played into geo-tagging photos. Millions of people around the world will come together and design amazing 3D images. It’s not just about the beautiful images they create, but about the exploration of this idea that really excites me.

Deciding the most exciting web application I have seen this past year is pretty difficult. Overall I just think it is interesting how social networking has developed and how big the industry has gotten these past couple years. I would have never thought of my mom having a Facebook account, but now I am used to the idea. It’s interesting to see where the media goes with this social networking phenomenon. Companies no longer just advertise their website or physical location; they want the consumer to know that they are on Facebook, or have a Twitter account.

Mobility is the future!

Thought this was kind of funny… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz4GwLpxAhc

5 comments:

  1. That video was very funny. It complimented your ideas very well, and makes a good point of showing how far the technology has come. I agree with you in the fact that the world has shifted due to the new capabilities of the hardware. I also agree with your comments on a complete 3D experience. There has already been great strides made to produce more 3D products and applications. I like how you said "mobility is the future", but it caused to wonder, "at what point will it not matter if we are on the go or sitting at home? If all technology works regardless of the physical location of the user, then will the sense of mobility be obsolete?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    I completely agree with the mobile device phenomena. When I step back and look at my life in particular I can see the effect that my iphone has on me. It has become a vital part of my life by keeping me connected through social networks, texting, email, geo-tagging, accessing the internet, etc. The mobile devices have really enhanced the social networking experience for me. Now I have access to facebook 24/7 it is interesting to see how that has changed the role of facebook in retrospect to businesses.

    -Caimen Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with the previous comments. That video was a perfect example of the progress of devices but I also thought that its comic ridiculousness could represent our past. Before these devices, people probably thought the idea was dumb and not necessary, like we feel when seeing the toothbrush as a part of the PDA.

    I also find it funny that my mom has a facebook and that it is normal now but a couple of years ago this would have been beyond weird.

    ~Drew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lane makes a great point here, "I like how you said "mobility is the future", but it caused to wonder, "at what point will it not matter if we are on the go or sitting at home? If all technology works regardless of the physical location of the user, then will the sense of mobility be obsolete?" "

    What does mobility mean for technology if it is always with us? Mobility, in a way, ceases to be a useful concept. Huh, cool.

    I for one am troubled at how mobility changes expectations for response. I find when I get high school students emailing me about DTC, they get really snippy if I don't respond immediately. Over MLK weekend (when I was in the woods of Idaho, but still 'connected' via my phone, but choosing NOT to use email on vacation) I received an email query at 10pm on a Friday. At noon on Monday (MLK day, a holiday) I received another email from the same student, angry I hadn't yet responded. Just because I turn off my mobility doesn't mean other people turn of their expectations of mobility. It's frustrating.

    Nice post overall. Your 2nd paragraph in particular does a good job of answering the prompt while also illustrating clear connections to the reading itself. Use that as a model for future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of people do forget about the hardware. I remember my first cell phone it looked like a house phone it was so big. But now as time passes and technology advances all the cell phone components have shrinked down allowing the hardware itself to add more components and thus being able to do everything it can do now: Sensory, internet, webcam, voice recognition among many others. Technology and its innovators have allowed hardware to open up a lot of new windowns and has allowed us to use old technology in a way that has transformed our world from a WEB 2.0 to WEB SQUARED.

    ReplyDelete